Re: [VHFcontesting] Decline of VHF activity

To: vhf contesting <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Decline of VHF activity
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 17:09:41 -0600
On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This lack of curiosity to try things like VHF weak signal strikes me as a
> side effect of amateur radio having been promoted for a few decades now as
> being a utilitarian communications "ends" vs. being it a lifelong continuing
> journey focused on propagation challenges and technology..

Maybe so.  We had a university club meeting the other day and there
was a new kid there (who I need to get the manual to, come to think of
it) and we were all talking (while eating Mexican food complete with
Mexican Coke) about the hobby and what you could do and I mentioned
that I didn't really want to talk to any of the people at the table
(mostly) but I did want to make my signal heard in far away places.
*That's* cool.  Make the Q and move on.  :-)  DXCC or VUCC, makes no
difference (to me).  Working FT5ZM the other night (2000 local) on 17
phone with 100W and a wire was *nearly* as big a thrill as working
into New England from Oklahoma on 2 phone.