Re: [VHFcontesting] The VHF rules....what do we want??

To: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The VHF rules....what do we want??
From: Harry Blakeman <aspengold4@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 07:22:35 -0600
I would like to see more than one Hill Topping class, something like the
multi rover classes. Specifically I would add a higher than 10 watts
of power, full length of contest category and a QRP, full length of contest
class. Perhaps bands could be limited, but would that dilute the hill
topper competition too much? I really liked the QRP Hill Topper full length
of the contest class that CQ had back in the 80's. (Not sure when it
changed to six hours.)

The bottom line is that I would like to operate more and drive a whole
lot less. For example, in the last contest (June), on Saturday I drove to
four grids (205 miles) and made zero contacts. I spent the night at a hotel
and started out early Sunday going to four grids and drove another 205
miles. I had originally planned to activate ten grids. For the single rover
it seems like I drive and drive some more, just to operate for a couple of
hours total. As I approach 70 years of age, it seems that the expense of
roving vs. the limited amount of operating time is not very satisfying.
There should probably be some kind of changes to Rover scoring to encourage
more rovers to activate more grids. There's no satisfaction in driving to a
distant grid, making no contacts and not getting any type of scoring
assistance for at least making the attempt to provide the rare grid. It
sure makes you think whether or not you'll ever return to that grid again.

73,
Harry, W0BL