Re: [VHFcontesting] Reverse VUCC for Rovers and How To Contact Your VUAC

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Reverse VUCC for Rovers and How To Contact Your VUAC Representative
From: jcplatt1@mmm.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:09:43 -0500
>> So what is the difference between the VUAC and the CAC?  In laymans
terms, what is their functions? <<

Here is my understanding, YMMV.

Both the Contest Advisory Committee (CAC) and the VHF/UHF Advisory
Committee (VUAC) are comprised of one volunteer from each of the ARRL
Sections plus Canada.  Each volunteer is selected by their ARRL Division
Director.   Their role is to advise and to act upon work direction given to
them by the ARRLs Programs and Services Committee (PSC).   In laymans
terms, the PSC is their boss.  The PSC is comprised of a sub-group of
Division Directors - you can find out who is on the PSC by typing in "PSC"
as a key word in the search engine on the ARRLs web page.

I do believe that the CAC has been around for some time while the VUAC is
newer.  Starting in 2005 or 2006 it was recognized by the CAC and PSC that
some of the VHF+ contesting topics that the CAC was discussing were
reaching beyond the scope and base of the largely HF based CAC and that a
second advisory committee, one focused on VHF+ contesting, should be
formed.  One example of such a topic is roving .... something not seem in
HF contesting.  This is my understanding as to how the VUAC came about.

Today, its my understanding that the CAC and VUAC have similar tasks.  The
CACs focus is on HF contesting while the VUACs focus is on VHF+ contesting.
There may be some more structural differences between the two in that the
CAC may be a standing (permanent) committee while the VUAC is currently a
special committee that is scheduled to sunset (disperse).

Any errors stated here are all mine.  Hope this helps.

73, Jon
W0ZQ