Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contesting ethics questions

To: John Geiger <aa5jg@lcisp.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contesting ethics questions
From: Jerry Siegmund <jer.sieg@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:51:36 -0600
I agree John.. I tried my First VHF Contest last September.. and heard a
few 'weird sounds' that I later found out were WSJT MS Pings.. but after
a 15yr absence.. I had never even heard of WSJT! This time I had my 'Old
Stand Byes' Kenwood Single Band Rigs.. 660, 670, 711, 811.. Was
listening North on 2M for Calgary(100mi or so and Never heard a Peep..)
and working South on 6M when condx permitted. I heard W5DDR off the back
of the 2M Beams, swung her South and we not only made the contest
exchange, but QSO'd afterwards.. at 1200+mi on 2M SSB! An experience I
will never forget as a 'Newbie' to VHF/UHF.. used 10W into 4el at 21' on
6M.. and 150W into 2x13el 13B2's at 25 and 35'!  Now a 1200+mi QSO on 2M
SSB with what I have, will be 'very hard to beat I am sure, for quite
some time!
I am still hoping he was actually 'in NM' at the time!.. Thats One for
'My Own Record Book'..
73 Jerry  VE6CPP
DN39or