Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contesting ethics questions

To: 'Paul Kiesel' <k7cw@yahoo.com>, 'VHF Contest Reflector' <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "Chet, N8RA" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contesting ethics questions
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:17:08 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Wed, 6/18/08, Chet, N8RA <chetsubaccount@snet.net> wrote:

> From: Chet, N8RA <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
> Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contesting ethics questions
> To: "'Paul Kiesel'" <k7cw@yahoo.com>, "'VHF Contest Reflector'"
> <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
> Date: Wednesday, June 18, 2008, 12:16 PM
> Hi Paul,
> A ping jockey listing by station saying he is now on freq X
> using modulation
> Y now calling CQ is really a self-spot by that station.
> That itself is
> something not allowed for him by another rule I think, and
> it is not
> permitted for a person entering as a single op to connect
> to that
> assistance. This PJ spot is not really different than a
> packet spot, isn't
> it?

I really do think that WSJT is a genuinely cool mode. However what has really
kept me from really wanting to pursue it is the standard operating practice of
real-time or near real-time Internet coordination of a majority of the QSO's
done with it. In fact in general I'm just not a big fan of scheduling contacts
at all. Which is also why EME (WSJT or otherwise) hasn't really tripped my
trigger much either, there's just too much "scheduling" of Q's for it to
intrigue me much.

Now if WSJT was implemented in a CWSkimmer like configuration where it was
watching a wide swath of spectrum for totally random (i.e. unscheduled) signals
then I'd be all over it. I want it to be me and/or my equipment to find the
signals through my own antennas on the band of interest. It's just not as
sporting to me to look for someone because they told me that they were there.
Too much like commercial game farm "hunting", ... and with some animals even
tied up... Now some will argue that "running the bands" is tantamount to
scheduled contacts as well, perhaps it is to a degree, but finding that other
station to work at all in the first place (without using outside means or
schedules) I think is the critical differentiator.

Duane
N9DG