Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contesting ethics questions

To: 'VHF Contest Reflector' <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <aa5jg@lcisp.com>, Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contesting ethics questions
From: "John AA5JG" <aa5jg@lcisp.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:05:52 -0500

From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
>And number 2 (CWSkimmer) is the same way that stations to work were discovered
>70 years ago (i.e. just an operator and his/her *own* equipment exclusively
>extracting information about stations to work by "listening" to the band of
>interest).

But 70 years ago you listened to the band yourself and tuned the radio yourself
finding the stations to work. There were no computers involved. It was just you
and your equipment. If I understand it correctly, doesn't CW skimmer tune the
band for you, decode the CW, and print it out on the screen by station and
frequency?  We may have done that with paper and pencil 70 years ago, but the
tuning and decoding was done by the operator, not by the computer.

73s John AA5JG