Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF contesting] Rovers: Your battery choiceis...???

To: "Bill Burgess" <ve3cru@rac.ca>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF contesting] Rovers: Your battery choiceis...???
From: "Jim Erickson" <jaerickson@mddsg.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:06:44 -0400 (EDT)
Bill,

We run 6 bands with  3 - 115 AH Marine Deep Discharge batteries from
Wal-Mart for $54.00 each.

Charging is from the vehicle via a #4 cable and Automatic Battery
combiners from West Marine ($85.00 for 50A - 100A surge model). They sence
charge voltage and automatically combine.  They also have a Manual control
input to force connect and disconnect.  It all works smoothly.

With these batteries we run the following:

TS-2000X - 20.5A Max
IC706mk2g - 20A max
2m 400w amp - 54A
222 25w transverter - 8A max
432 185w amp at 33 A max
903 30W transverter at 10A max
Inverter for HAM IV Rotator 20A Max
Inverter for Lap Top 3A
Mobile Computer system 6 Amp

Of course not all is running at max current at the same time.

As ten rover grows so will the batteries.

73,
Jim K3LFO/R