Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: MFJ QRT on May 17, 2024

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: MFJ QRT on May 17, 2024
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 12:32:32 -0700
On 4/29/2024 11:25 AM, John Webster NN1SS wrote:
Ham radio is not dying.
But activity is definitely moving to a different frequency so to speak. It
seems to me that MFJ and perhaps Array Solutions were evidence of that
shift.

No, they are evidence that when the single owners of companies they built get old enough, they want to sit back and enjoy sunsets. That is true of these two companies -- ages 80 and 74 respectively.

It may also be a reflection of how those companies are organized from both an operational and management point of view. I've recently seen MFJ manufacturing processes described as both primitive and a mess, lagging decades behind the rest of the industry.

1. I'm a retired industry analyst (computer industry). In that line of
work, statistics are more powerful than subjective assessments. The RBN
numbers were concise and to the point.

I'm sure you realize that statistics can be meaningless, often pointing to wrong conclusions when they are not based on equivalent data or means of collection. In this case, RBN numbers comparing activity in different modes are meaningless, or provide that false equivalence.

What DOES matter is understanding people's how living situation limits or supports their ability to set up an effective station, and the extent to which receive noise limits its effectiveness.

73, Jim K9YC