Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: MFJ QRT on May 17, 2024

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: MFJ QRT on May 17, 2024
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 12:40:58 -0700
On 4/26/2024 11:41 AM, Bill Eisinger wrote:
I could frankly care less about MFJ’s demise except for one thing….as by far
the largest advertiser in QST

When I was a kid, there were smart people writing for and editing QST, and we could learn stuff from the magazine. When I got back on the air in 2003, I was disgusted by the absence of any of that. Until he retired, N0AX was the only guy writing for it who had a clue (and he is VERY sharp -- I worked with him for more than 10 years on the Handbook and Antenna Book, and for both versions of the book on Grounding and Bonding). The only strong technical things I remember are one by AA7JV on his "garden beam" for 20M, and a piece by KE4PT about loss at HF in dense forests.

Longtime Southwest Division Director N6AA said at Visalia this month that there was NO ONE technically competent involved with QST. I regularly winced at technical errors when I skimmed the magazine. And now that we have to pay extra for a paper copy, I haven't bothered to do so.

73, Jim K9YC