[TowerTalk] FW: Opposing boom to mast plates?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Opposing boom to mast plates?
From: <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 01:13:46 -0500
Wind drag over tubes essentially acts perpendicular to the axis of the tubes,
thereby transferring the drag force axially to the boom, which creates a torque
moment about the mast because of the short moment arm (distance from centerline
of boom to mast - usually a few inches).    Example:  50 lbs total element drag
force x 2 inches = 100 inch pounds, or about 8 ft lbs of torque.    Typically
negligible in the big scheme of things...

Matt
KM5VI