Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Opposing boom to mast plates?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Opposing boom to mast plates?
From: Leeson <leeson@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 12:19:39 -0700
A few thoughts on this:

1. Yes, the wind force on a cylinder is essentially perpendicular to its axis. See for example https://www.kkn.net/dayton2007/w6nl_ant.pdf So the maximum twisting force (torque) from the offset from the mast on a Yagi in the wind occurs when the elements are across the wind. When the boom is across the wind, there may be torque from its unbalanced area, but not from the offset from the mast; this is a different issue that can be resolved by keeping the boom symmetrical or adding extra area or length at the short end.

2. It's hard to imagine a usable mast weak enough to suffer from this offset force, but there is the possibility of torque on the rotator. I did some spreadsheet calculations for typical antennas and high windspeeds, using the HyGain 204BA and 105BA as examples in a 100 mph wind. I assumed a 4" offset from the mast. The element area of the 204BA is 10.6 sq. ft, and the 105BA is 2.1 sq. ft. At 100 mph, the wind force is 25.6 lb/sq. ft., and the drag factor for a cylinder is 0.67. The result is about 700 in-lb for the 204BA and 150 in-lb for the 105BA. By comparison, the rotating torque rating of various rotators runs from 1000 in-lb for a Tailtwister to 4500 for the new DXE RT4500 and 16,000 for a prop pitch. See http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Antenna%20Book%20Supplemental%20Files/22nd%20Edition/Rotator%20Specifications.pdf The braking numbers are typically much higher. So this offset effect is well below the rating of most rotators, although a big antenna could effect a smaller rotator. Radial ice could change this calculation.

3. But this all assumes the wind is constant across the elements, which seems to be an oversimplification. A while ago, I did an rough analysis of the rotating forces from wind shear and vortices, and am convinced that even a completely symmetrical antenna will suffer from the resulting buffeting. For an example, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTZ9q8Fochw I found from the calculations that an antenna on a longer mast would have a lower torsional resonance, so this would reduce the coupling of the wind gust torque to the rotator. In our extreme wind situation here I use the BMW rubber couplings ("flexdisc" or "guibo") to protect my rotators from the wind torque. We measured 147 mph max 3-sec gust about 12 years ago, more typically over 100 mph each winter, a tradeoff for the elevation-pattern benefit of a ridgetop location.

4. So it seems to be the case that, for two antennas, there may be some benefit from mounting them on opposite sides of the mast, but it would be small compared to other effects. One minor issue would be the increased complexity of mounting the antennas.

73 de Dave, W6NL/HC8L