Re: [TowerTalk] Nut & Bolt Sealant

To: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Nut & Bolt Sealant
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 20:36:39 -0700
I used a locktite product that I thought was total BS.

I was installing a brass bodied sensor into a cast aluminum engine head.

I was TOLD there would be a chemical reaction between the brass, aluminum, and locktite. I expected something like epoxy when cured.

I coated the threads, torqued the sensor, and waited for it to cure. I checked the next morning, the locktite was as wet as ever, and I wiped it off with a paper towel. I then placed a small heat lamp above the engine, thinking heat would help.

I checked again about ten to twelve hours later, thicker, but still goopy.

Thinking this was a total scam, and I was screwed, I tried to remove the sensor so I could use something else. Sure enough, the locktite had cured, and was rock-hard, like cured epoxy, in the threads, where the brass, and aluminum came together.

I cleaned everything up, and re-installed, this time waiting the required time, and used solvent to remove the excess goopy locktite.

I never had an issue with the sensor leaking, even when that particular engine over-heated later.

Kurt