Re: Topband: ARRL 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 17:20:30 -0400
Some of you may unknowingly be doing yourselves a slight disservice by
changing the speed and spacings within your callsign to satisfy the human
ear (like to distinguish a K5B from a KH6 for example).  (personally I
prefer everything coming at me at the exact same speed, but that's me and
this post is not about MY ear)

The (RBN) skimmers (especially in the presence of QRN on 160m) may not
always be able to decipher it and then erroneously spot you as someone else.

The same can be said for these funny spacings/speeds if I was to send my
call like this at 35wpm> VE9AA test <<< but send the word 'test' at 55wpm
(fairly common in EU)

Sometimes the RBN simply won't spot you at all, or it may spot you as
something not exactly like "VE9AA". I've seen it many times.  I've since
stopped this super quick "test" at the end.

A point to ponder?

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB