Topband: Cluster Spots and the ARRL 160

To: "'Ron Spencer'" <ron.spencer@zoho.com>, "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Cluster Spots and the ARRL 160
From: <ws6x.ars@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 07:42:31 -0500
Hi Ron,
And I thought it was just me. I too, had to resort to S&P because of the number
of dupes. In 9 hrs. of operating, I had 16 total, plus another 4 where the
operator caught themselves and said, "SRI." I have never seen anything like it.
I had a K2 who called me on Sat evening for a dupe, and 4 minutes later called
me again!
Like you, I figured it was bad cluster spots. However, I searched the database
for the usual blown calls -- WI6X, WS6K, WH6X and WS7X. To my surprise, I can't
find a single spot with any of these variations.
I agree: several of these callers were well-known, competent contest operators.
Most I had worked dozens of times.
For 160M tests, I have long since adjusted my callsign in the N1MM text
scripts. I add a half-space before the "S" and slow the "S" down by 2 wpm. In
the past, this has always served me well. But not in this test.
>From this QTH I had lots of QRN and rapid, deep QSB. I even slowed my sending
>by 2 wpm from Sat evening on. That did not seem to do the trick.
Besides the usual wide key-clickers, I also heard an unusual number of signals
breaking up. Some to the point of being nearly uncopiable. Was this strange
atmospheric condx? Was this what was bugging my signal?
I'm curious if others experienced the same stuff.
Jim - WS6X