Re: Topband: K9AY Loop Questions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AY Loop Questions
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 19:42:44 -0700
The SAL is pretty much just an AY loop with a more functional controller?  I have had moderate success with a pennant at V31 as well.

W0MU

On 1/5/2022 7:23 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I tried an AY loop decades ago, without the Array Solutions adjustable
termination controller, and I do not remember it being that useful for RX.
The antenna is ground dependant so perhaps it works better for some than
others. Even a short Beverage may be a better choice. From my P40A station I
used a Pennant with decent results. It was inexpensive to build and not
ground dependant however it only covered one direction. The Array Solutions
Shared Apex Loop Array has great reviews and may be worth considering, Pete.

John KK9A

Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:

I recently installed a K9AY loop (with the Array Solutions controller),
and have a couple of questions.  Installation is pretty standard, with a
fiberglass pole at the center, ground rod at its base, and on the ground
radials under each direction of the loop.

The antenna is directional, as demonstrated by tuning in broadcast
stations at the high end of the AM band and separating stations on the
same frequency so that I can hear one or the other.  Atmospheric noise
is 1-2 S units more on my inverted L than on the K9AY antenna, but
signal strengths of stations in the favored direction of the loop seem
about the same or a bit lower than the inverted L.  The Termination
adjustment is working, to judge by the switching transients, but seems
to make little or no difference.

How do these results compare with others' experience?  I didn't expect a
"magic bullet", but the K9AY loop seems a little bit underwhelming.