Re: Topband: K9AY Loop Questions

To: topband reflector <topband@contesting.com>, Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AY Loop Questions
From: Mike Furrey <mikefurrey@att.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 17:55:10 +0000 (UTC)
 I used the K9AY loop on a 60' by 90' suburban lot near Houston. My transmit
antenna was an inverted L between two very tall pine trees. and one side of the
AY loop
was 6' from the single elevated radial of the inverted L. I had to detune the L
because too much noise was radiated to the loop and I had to replace the
resistors with 5 watt
ratings to keep from burning them up on transmit.
The AY loop was the difference between working stations or not working
stations. I did orient it for nulling noise and not peaking
stations since it does have a fairly broad pattern.

When I live near Sewannee, TN on top of a sandstone plateau, my first install
of the AY loop did not work. Laying down eight 25' radials
brought it to life. I did lay out a 600' beverage and noted a quite a
difference between the two antennas.

At times the noise reduction is not much but it may be enough for working a
weak station for a new one.

I will install the AY loop at my WTX QTH.

73, Mike WA5POK
     On Sunday, January 2, 2022, 10:29:42 AM EST, Pete Smith N4ZR