Re: Topband: K9AY Loop Questions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AY Loop Questions
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 08:55:05 -0700
Which antenna can you more easily copy the station on?  I would hope the loop.

W0MU

On 1/2/2022 12:24 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 1/2/2022 7:29 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
The antenna is directional, as demonstrated by tuning in broadcast stations at the high end of the AM band and separating stations on the same frequency so that I can hear one or the other.  Atmospheric noise is 1-2 S units more on my inverted L than on the K9AY antenna, but signal strengths of stations in the favored direction of the loop seem about the same or a bit lower than the inverted L.

Hi Pete,

RX antennas don't make signals louder, but they improve the signal to noise ratio, making them easier to copy -- IF your noise(s) is/are not in the same direction as the signal.

73, Jim K9YC