Re: Topband: Phased Short Beverages

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Phased Short Beverages
From: fmoeves <fmoeves@twc.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 14:05:35 -0500
Frank,Thanks for help.The property is on a slope that dumps into a creek then
back up another slope. I don't think a 4 square would work i these conditions.
I was surprised how well the short Beverages worked out.But wanted to try to do
better. Last summer I was able to get up a 580' Beverage but it was bent to fit
my lot.I just started using it and then i noticed the signal dropped. I checked
the antenna and some critter chewed up the feedline. I replaced and it and it
was quickly chewed up again. I didn't have enough time to evaluate it to see if
it was even worth the effort. I may try again this summer but it had a pretty
severe bend in it.I have considered the NCC-2Thanks again for the suggestions.
73Fred KB4QZH
-------- Original message --------From: donovanf@erols.com Date: 1/12/21  1:17
PM  (GMT-05:00) To: topband@contesting.com Subject: Re: Topband: Phased Short
Beverages Hi Fred,A single 300 foot Beverage has excellent front-to-back ratio
butvery broad 150 degree 3 dB beamwidth on 160 meters,A 580 foot Beverage has
approximately 80 degree 3 dB beamwidth,and it works very well on 160, 80 and 40
meters, one of thereasons why that length is so popular.Two broadside phased
300 foot Beverages have 160 meter performancesimilar to a single 580 foot
Beverage, but the required broadsidespacing is at least 300 feet, preferably
350 feet.A pair of staggered Beverages occupies 430 feet.  Staggered Beverages
only improve front-to-back ratio, they are especially effective whenused in
conjunction with a DX Engineering NCC-2 controller.If you installed a single
430 foot Beverage your front-to backratio is still excellent and the 3 dB
beamwidth is reduced to about120 degrees.Have you considered a Hi-Z (or a
homebrew) 4-square receiving arraywith four short active or passive verticals?
Its performance is similar to a 580 foot Beverage on only an 80 x 80 foot space
and far superiorto simple single loops.You can improve the broad 3 dB beamwidth
of any small loop bybroadside phasing of two loops, but the required broadside
spacingis 300 feet, preferably 350 feet.73FrankW3LPLFrom: "Fred Moeves"
<fmoeves@twc.com>To: topband@contesting.comSent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021
5:55:59 PMSubject: Topband: Phased Short BeveragesWhile watching another one of
Steve's(VE6WZ) awesome videos got me to thinking about doing this to with short
Beverages...I thinking about end-fire phased where one stepped in front of the
other.I have read what ON4UN has written on this subject and just how close you
can have Beverages with out real problems with coupling.So has anyone on
topband try this and what was your thoughts?Would it be a worthwhile
effort.What about 2 loops,flags?Would it be better then a 300' Beverage?Anyway
just thinking out loud and trying to improve my system.73Fred
KB4QZH_________________Searchable Archives: http://www.contesting.com/_topband
- Topband Reflector