Re: Topband: I need help proofing an Inverted L model I made please. 40

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: I need help proofing an Inverted L model I made please. 40’ x 143’, four 100’ radials, #14 wire.
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 08:52:56 -0700
IMHO, for that number, on-the-ground radials do not need to be anywhere near that long.  Personally, I subscribe to the same-length-as-the-vertical guideline.

My inverted-L is 55 feet of vertical tubing plus the horizontal wire.  My insulated, on the ground radials are 55.5 feet (9 radials out of a 500 ft roll of wire). By serendipity, measuring one radial against all of the rest with a VNWA it is resonant at 1.84 MHz.  To be fair, I still have fewer radials than planned (18 vs. 36) in which case, shorter is actually better according to Belrose and Severns (https://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/files/antenna_ground_system_experiment_4.pdf).

Wes  N7WS