Re: Topband: Summer Update & a Surprise

To: donovanf@starpower.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Summer Update & a Surprise
From: <k3ky@radioprism.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 03:32:58 -0700
For ARRL non-members, who will not be able to access the
article "Rotten Damped Spark Stuff" behind the pay wall,
a Google search (www.startpage.com) on that phrase
produced exactly one relevant hit:

http://w2pa.net/HRH/spark-to-cw/

It's actually a pretty good summary of the beginnings of
the demise of spark. I learned a few new things there.
It does help put it all in perspective.

I continue to be *Massively* uninterested in digital
modes on HF radio in the form they are currently taking.
(Yawn) I can do essentially all that on the internet
all day long. But perhaps there is some truth to the
notion that digital is 'saving' ham radio. I really
don't know... Yes, ham radio will change. I'm OK with
that. No, really...

Young whippersnappers! When did I change into an old
fart anyway? Somehow I missed that...

I have returned to building gear with vacuum tubes,
catering to my lifelong CW addiction. I find satisfaction
working at the bench and sending or answering CQ's to
what at times may seem like an empty band- or
occasionally tuning down to the low end to see what DX
I might find. Life is good...

SM6CVX Hans may have it right. From my perspective, it does
indeed appear that the sky has already fallen with respect
to CW and 6 meters- and apparently top band is well on the
way. If ham HF operation contracts into just a few clusters
(of digital,) it would be understandable if the
'authorities', sensing weakness and seemingly vast tracts
of unused frequencies, moved to shrink the ham bands. It has
happened before (220MHz). Or perhaps they just take the ham
bands by stealth by approving noxious wide band digital
unattended messaging systems, commercial traffic in
disguise.

It seems unlikely that ARRL will ever de-conflict CW/SSB
etc. vs. computer assisted modes for DXCC awards, but that
is what it would take to fix this mess IMO.

Thank you, my old friend CW, for all the happy memories.
You will go on a while longer, still having many friends
and supporters- even some young ones...

73, David K3KY