Topband: FT8

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: FT8
From: "Ross Johnson" <randljohnson@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 09:50:28 +0000
Interesting reading, this proves to me beyond dough at least some cw operators feel
they are superior and any other means of communication is below them.

I passed the cw test here in 1976 but rarely us it , might try to work the odd Dxpedition . It doesn’t help when they wont slow down for someone who is not up to their standard.

I have been on 6 metres for 40 years and worked a large number of countries but will never make 100 without moon bounce as we are so isolated . FT8 in general has been good for 6. Last summer 100 watt stations with simple antennas were working about 4800km to VK6. Not easy on SSB. VK3s have worked or heard EU last month. Worked North America as well. A local ham here also worked NA and decoded S50. JA and HL also worked. I have only managed 4 winter openings to Vk. During ssb winter years, some years nothing worked. Clearly FT8 and being on same frequency helps.

Am new to 160m, been on 1 year. and amazed I have worked 60 countries FT8 from a town sized section. My L antenna vertical section is only up 30 feet and rest drops to 15 feet with a bend in it. Many EU worked. So like it or not digital DXCCs will be issued even if they are seen as second class to some of you .

73  Ross    ZL3RJ   ZL3ADT