Re: Topband: JA's came in droves today on 160

To: Edward Sawyer <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: JA's came in droves today on 160
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 15:25:59 -0400
What was interesting to follow was when Central Electronic came out with
the first SSB unit and Hallicrafters followed.  Art Collins was right
behind as his SAC contract needed more efficient and reliable airborne
voice communications globally,  As a ham, he didn't forget us and market
the KWM-1 series.  Heathkit really could not do much on SSB and Leo
Meyerson resisted so did E.F Johnson with signs at the hamfest "AM
Forever," and the businesses folded eventually. Ironically all of these
companies that made AM ham equipment were all in the midwest within a few
hundred miles of each other. And then came then the Japanese invasion of
Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood transceivers and it was all over for AM.now I sit
in front of an exotic Flex 6600M wondering if I will ever learn how to
operate it.

Herb Schoenbohmm KV4FZ