Re: Topband: JA's came in droves today on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: JA's came in droves today on 160
From: "Edward Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 13:27:16 -0500
Such is the new trend.  No offense to KV4FZ whatsoever but if you provide
the easy path.most will take it.  The only way to affect the "easy way out"
is to not provide it.

I remember year's ago doing CQ WW CW ABLP as C6ARS in 2001.  I ended the
contest on 15M running a couple of hundred JAs. I thought, this is amazing
because I am just as loud from W1 and I couldn't imagine having so many JA
stations call.  Clearly they are much more DXers than full contesters - most
of them.  Still feel that way today.  I have heard piles of JAs calling
right before a contest only to dry up in the contest.

Its fascinating that the above has now shifted to FT8 vs the more
traditional modes in just DXing.  Herb, it would be a very interesting
experiment to shift to CW mid pile-up and see if the group stays with you to
catch the DX opening or does it dwindle to nothing.  I am guessing it goes
to nothing despite the opening.  But would love to hear.

FT8 is changing the "easiness factor" in DXing.  And like technology
assisted driving, once that genie is out of the bottle it ain't never goin
back.  Just try and find an actual stick shift in a new car - almost
impossible.  Why?  It doesn't mesh with the computer driving the car.

73

Ed  N1UR