Re: Topband: Radial wire

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, Jeff Draughn <n0ost99@gmail.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Radial wire
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 08:19:49 -0700
Interesting source.  The 5356 alloy would be the best choice for radial wires since the 5xxx series are of a corrosion resistant aluminum alloy.  5052 is the usual alloy for boat hulls in salt water.

OTOH, it seems the cost of 14ga THHN, the fact that it will last forever, and that it is widely available makes this an academic point.  Unspooled properly, the thousands of feet I've used electrically didn't seem to have much coil memory.

For elevated radials, Al electric fence wire is my preference, but it has strong coil memory even after 5 years in the air.

Grant KZ1W