Re: Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 12:02:54 -0400
>"The cost savings they are talking about amounts to very little.  It  would
>cost a helluva lot more to  dismantle them completely.  Besides  TIME and freq
>standards,  WWV  provides  for a myriad of other  features."

Seems like a great opportunity to spin-off WWV/WWVB to one of Colorado's state
universities; WWVH to a Hawaii university.  Let a university run it as a STEM
project under the auspices of their dept. of physics or engineering.  Assign an
advisor to help lead the students into worthwhile projects and
responsibilities.  Here's an opportunity for academic professors to lead by
example, not just teach.   It's not like it takes expensive, and largely
unmotivated federal workers with their long-term FERS/CSRS expenses to keep the
stations running.  Moreover, it should be easier for a school to secure
private, external corporate funding and grants as needed, rather than through a
U.S. federal agency.  In time, upgrade/expand the existing buildings for other
university STEM projects.  Let the universities work with high schools - and
get high school students motivated to pursue STEM degrees.  Give them operating
shifts, special construction projects, write code for remote station
monitoring, etc.

My university had two student-run radio stations, run under the direction of an
academic advisor.  Never in my life have I met a more motivated group of people
who worked for free.  We couldn’t get enough if it.  The experience we received
was priceless.

Paul, W9AC