Re: Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure

To: jim.thom@telus.net
Subject: Re: Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 15:55:28 -0400
Hi Jim,

You said "The accuracy of both devices far exceeds my needs", but let me
play the devils advocate.  Unless you send those devices into an accredited
lab on a regular basis, you can't say they are accurate (unless you can
check them from home on a regular basis directly against a frequency
standard that's traceable directly back to NIST which would be WWV, WWVH,
WWVB, etc.).

I'm sure this sounds like a radical viewpoint, but just wanted to play the
devils advocate on this one.

P.S. NIST did publish a document about GPSDO traceability and here is the
URL to it which is good reading and it partially supports some of my
comments, but not totally.
https://ws680.nist.gov/publication/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=842479

Don (wd8dsb)