Re: Topband: Stew Beef

To: Gary@ka1j.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Stew Beef
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 09:18:14 -0500
Gary, while I am primarily a contester, I have been surprised by the amount
of EU DX I can work on some non-contest nights. I agree with you; I have to
say my best nights on 160M are in fact non-contest nights.

Often my new 160M DXCC's have been coming not from contest nights
themselves, but from pericontest activity especially in the week before
CQWW.

Last week on a weeknight, I noted at the end of the 0300Z CWT that 160M
seemed to be pretty decent to Europe.

I called CQ on 160M that night, and proceeded to work 50 different European
stations  in the next 3+ hours. Most of those stations, I had never worked
on 160M before. That's was surprising to me as mostly-a-contester, because
even on a good contest weekend over two nights I might work 50 EU stations.

I was amazed not only at the good conditions, but that there were 50
European guys up in the middle of their night! There were only a couple
other NA stations who CQ'ed in those 3 hours. There were several other NA
stations responding to EU CQ's in those hours.

I think fundamentally... we need to get on 160M and CQ more outside of
contests!!!

In a different thread, folks talk about wanting E-mails when 160M
conditions are good. For me, a very valuable tool is to turn on the radio,
call CQ, and look at my reverse beacon reports in EU.

Tim N3QE