Re: Topband: Stew Beef

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Stew Beef
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 17:10:06 +0000
A topband contest in early-mid March....

The biggest problem I see with the concept is that (assuming not abnormally
warm weather) for some of us that's the time of year by when Ol' Man Winter
will almost certainly have brought down the good tx and/or rx antennas, but
before the snowpack shrinks enough to do anything about it.  :)

Seriously though....while I don't think there is such a thing as "too many
contests" (after all, there are some successful, fun weekly contests being
run), I'll admit that I tend not to get too excited about summer or fall Stews
because of the relatively limited participation levels.  There may be something
romantic about the image of a boy and his radio endlessly calling CQ through
the night, but I have to maximize the fun I have in the limited amount of play
time the XYL allows me.

If there's a contest and if I'm in the shack, I'll probably tune around to see
if there's any fun to be had.  But I am constrained on just how often I can
clear a block of time to make a serious effort.  Nevertheless, I welcome the
extra serving of Stew.

--
Michael Adams | N1EN | mda@n1en.org