Re: Topband: Stew Beef

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Stew Beef
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 16:40:13 -0500
For me, unless I use the amp, I get more DX on quiet nights than
during a contest on 160. The more powerful stations always trump me
when it comes to DX but while I'd rather make the contest DX Q, it's
part of the game I chose to play, I could turn on the amp and I know
if I hear them, I can work them.

With that said, I get far more enjoyment out of working so many
people on 160 during a contest than I do prowling the band, looking
for a weak signal from a DXCC entity I haven't worked before.

And thinking about it while I type this, I don't believe I have
worked a DXCC ATNO or even a needed 160M ATNO during a contest in the
last 5-6 years now. To that end, I'm usually listening to 160 most
every night and I haven't worked a non-DXPedetion new one on 160 in
maybe, the last 3 years.

In summation; I agree with Tree's assessment. To me, for the very few
nights per year with a contest on and considering the tremendous
activity they generate; the rest of the year is not impacted by them
and the amount of operators found on 160 on any given non-contest
night, is minuscule in comparison.

I don't see Contesting interfering with my contacts in the least, it
only increases my log numbers...  :D

73 & HNY,

Gary
KA1J