Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground" and losses

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground" and losses
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:21:49 -0800
On Wed,2/25/2015 5:27 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:
Of interest down here is surface-buried radials down here show definite standing waves in actual measurements, so it doesn't care what BL and E measured.

Not only that, but it defies logic that radials would NOT exhibit the same current and voltage distribution of any other conductor carrying RF current. The boundary condition is near zero at the end ( "near" because of capacitance at the end). Rudy Severns, N6LF, has explored this in his studies of radial systems. Rudy's work includes extensive modeling to understand and document what he was seeing in measurements of carefully constructed experimental systems.

I recall seeing at least one study of current distribution in radial systems published in QST -- something like 20-30 years ago. I found it as a pdf on the ARRL website about 10 years ago. I remember that it documented exactly what Tom has observed -- that current varies along the radial and depending on the soil under the radial.

73, Jim K9YC