Re: Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:49:39 -0700
Guys, I'm not following all this, possibly because I'm confused by Jim's
distinction between "filters" and "chokes," because in both cases they're
just lossy inductors, although used in different ways and for different
purposes.

 Consider common mode noise on a simple parallel wire transmission line.
Identical in-phase noise currents would flow on each of the parallel wires.
A common mode choke around the line would insert a high impedance equally
onto both wires.The choke's effectiveness at suppressing the common mode
currents would depend on the shunt impedance to ground of the two wires. The
shunt impedance between the two wires e.g., the impedance of the
transmission line, is immaterial since there is no common mode voltage
difference between them.

On the other hand, the choke's ability to shield differential (as opposed to
common mode) currents depends a great deal on the differential shunt
impedance. The lower the shunt impedance, the more effective the choke.
Seems to me this is quite apparent if one draws out the circuit and includes
both the impedances to ground and the differential impedance beteeen the two
wires. But, like I said, maybe I'm not following something.
73,
Jim W8ZR

Brown