Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.

To: "Greg-N4CC" <n4cc@windstream.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 12:53:38 -0500

Silicone is totally different from silica. Silica in its most common form is "sand". Silicone is a name for a class of compounds based on the element silicon. The properties can vary significantly. Silicones are commonly used for lubrication and defoaming applications. 73, Greg-N4CC

Just to be clear, I never said there was silica in silicone grease and I never have heard of any silicone grease being abrasive or having silica.

The only case I know of, unless it is a dirty environment, where silicone grease becomes abrasive is when something actually arcs through the grease and converts some of the grease to silicone-carbide, which is an abrasive.