Topband: Connector grease

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Connector grease
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 01:34:42 -0500
FYI Bill....the use of medical grade petroleum jelly was recommended
in ON4UN's LBDXing book.  That doesn't always make it right, but
personally,
I've been using the jelly for years to keep water out of connectors and
it works very well.  The tube of the jelly works great as an applicator
rather than from a jar.  I fill the connector completely, leaving no
voids.

I would not use petroleum jelly on any electrical connector, especially to flood it. That is bad advice, no matter what source recommends it.

I also would not fill or flood a high power transmitting connector with anything, even pure silicon dielectric compounds that are engineered for electrical applications. I especially would not use some crude hydrocarbon based grease that liquefies at low temperatures (I think around 100F) and spews flammable vapors that attacks rubbers and some plastics.

Things that do NOT belong on connectors are generally things that are petroleum based, like noalox, anti seize compounds, and so on. Also keep in mind, connectORs are very different than bolted connectIONs. Something that works on a 2000 psi clamped cable connection that is out by itself can behave a whole lot different in a 20 psi spring pressure contact that is adjacent to opposing polarities.

Besides silicon dielectric compounds, there are some very good synthetic greases now suitable for connectors. There is little reason to use things that have been known to cause problems when there are so many other less troublesome choices. I know Hams pride themselves in being cheap, but I'd just spend ten bucks for a tube of the right stuff at any auto parts store or almost any home improvement store. It has a temperature range of -40 to +500F, won't emit flammable vapors, won't carbon track, and does not attack any plastic or rubber.

73 Tom