Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?
From: Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 08:16:46 -0700
Tom,
Fully understood.  I wasn't referring to the usual collinear antennas sold by
"comet" or anything of that nature. I am referring to the stacking arrangements
used for ops like moonbounce, etc.  As far as the design theory (and practical
application) goes, I have a reasonable amount of schooling and experience (been
active since 1966..... he he he).  Just so you realize I am not referring to
the often (always?) false gain claims made by manufacturers for their antenna
designs.

All I was saying was, "yes, it is possible and is done" when speaking to
vertical stacking.  As far as stacking what we would call "ground plane"
antennas (quarter wave vertical element against elevated radials), the only
example I have seen with any regularity is done aboard some Naval vessels
(stacked/phased, if you will, horizontally on a yard arm). I "think" I have
seen the same thing at airports, but I cannot tell for certain that they are
phased arrays or just happen to "look" like they are related.  Understand that
in all cases to which I refer, including my own, I am speaking of phased
arrays, which I believe is what we are talking about as well.  I may have
misinterpreted the question to some degree.

Again, in my own case, stacking/phasing 4 fairly long beams allowed comms that
any other configuration, including a single long boom yagi, did not allow at
the same quality level.  I never measured the actual gain, but I do know that a
single beam didn't cut it..... Yes, I could communicate, but with alot of noise
into the repeater...... When I stacked them, it became full quieting which is a
fairly big difference in "quality." I know it wouldn't take much actual gain to
make happen, but it does indicate "some" gain :) :)  By the way, it allows me
to go simplex into Phoenix from that location on the Rim, as well, with great
signals according to the guys I've spoken with.  A few tests with a single beam
versus a combination of phased beams (2 or 4 beams) indicated the same basic
thing according to the folks on the other end.  I won't quote what they said
concerning "s-meter" readings because that is pretty meaningless...... BUT,
full quieting vs "noisy signal" does indicate a
 reasonable gain, even if I don't know the exact numbers.

Oh, one thing I didn't mention is that the beams are all homebrew using
aluminum booms and elements (plumbers delight construction) and were phased
using the proper impedance for the phasing lines..... with a large amount of
time spent ensuring as little untoward beam coupling as possible (of the type
that, as you know, causes real problems when trying to get the impedances and
phasing lines to be correct).  Basically, I followed some moonbounce array
designs from handbooks of the past, with more of today's understanding of
proper phasing, if you will.  Seems to work well and all indications are that
it does, indeed, have fairly significant gain (which is not actually a measured
gain, so I cannot speak to "how much" with any degree of accuracy, as I
mentioned above).  WHEW, this is more of a book than I intended..... LOL LOL.

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

Topband Reflector