Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?
From: Augie Hansen <augie.hansen@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 14:46:29 -0600

On 9/7/2013 11:42 AM, Bruce wrote:
Many have tried 5/8 wavelengths on lower bands and experienced poor long haul results.

Included among the many have been a number of medium wave broadcast stations, influenced I'm sure by the promise of intense low angle radiation, which covers the region where most of the recipients of the stations product (usually advertisements) are located. But the 5/8-wave antenna splits the signal into the desired low angle lobe and a higher angle lobe that results in destructive interference at the outer portion of the coverage area.

On the low-frequency HF and MF ham bands, the null in the vertical pattern of a 5/8-wave (225 degree) radiator has a very negative effect on the range of angles where the bulk of the propagation we need for contacts is located.

Long ago broadcasters going for the "gold" backed off from the 225 degree vertical to the 190 degree vertical. Being a bit longer that a half wave, which has a difficult-to-match high impedance at the base, it is fairly easy to match the slightly shorter vertical to a transmission line, and it produces a single strong low angle lobe.

Over the years I've had very good success with 190 degree radiators on several of the higher frequency bands (6-20m). Unfortunately my "postage-stamp" city lot with a big house and trees in all the wrongs places is not suitable for experimentation on the low-frequency bands.

Gus Hansen
KB0YH

Topband Reflector