Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?

To: "'Bruce'" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 11:53:58 -0400
Amen!!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV

-----Original Message-----
From: Topband [mailto:topband-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Bruce
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2013 1:42 PM
To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?

Now the smoke has cleared-sort of

I have the Vertical Antenna Handbook, by Capt.. Paul H. Lee USN (RET) N6PL
second edition. I also had the first edition  way back then/when.
I Built the Mark II on page 93 and it worked like gang-busters on 20 meters
on the long haul. and well on 40 meters. I was not working the other bands
at the time so I do not have any information there.

There was another ham close by with a 3 element beam, I could work stations
on 20 meters long haul that he could not. Yes, there was always a
possibility his antenna was not working correctly.

BUT,  like Tom,  many years ago I had this image that 5/8 wave was the
answer to very long range. I also put up a 5/8 wave on 80 meters that was a
dismal failure. As I shortened it, for long haul peak performance, it came
at my QTH at 1/2 wave.

Even early broadcasters were going for 5/8 wave as the lower angles gave
longer ground wave. But now most are using much shorter verticals and
getting improved nighttime sky wave.
I have been in Broadcast engineering most of my life, and many changes have
been noted in equipment and antennas.

Many have tried 5/8 wavelengths on lower bands and experienced poor long
haul results.

Optimum DX take off angles for most bands are well known now. It has been
published, but unable to remember where.

If anyone wants to go for a 5/8 wave on 160 meters, feel free. Everyone has
to be some-where.

73
Bruce-K1FZ

www.qsl.net/k1fz/beveragenotes.html