Re: Topband: 2 wire beverage question

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 2 wire beverage question
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:05:30 -0800
I think I might like to try some reversible beverages, but I would
like them to be made so I can easily roll up the wire on a spool
to do mowing, etc.  I currently use 19 gauge aluminum electric fence wire
on 3 foot high plastic electric fence insulators with a spike
on the bottom.  I space the supports every
50 feet.  I step on them to put the spike into the ground.
This is very convenient for me.  Can I just put up two of these
side by side a foot apart and have a differential impedance of
around 600 ohms? It would be twice as much work, but the amount
of work is very little as it is now, and eliminating the "backhaul"
coax from the far end would save a ton of work.

What would be even better would be a very light weight twisted
pair, but is such as thing available, now that phone lines are
ruled out?  I guess 300 ohm twin lead is ruled out because of
the rain degradation issue. Probably too much wind load too.
The twisted pair in CAT5 cable seems like a good RF candidate
if an easy way could be found to liberate one pair from 400 feet
of cable.  Still might be affected by rain.

Any suggestions?

Rick N6RK