Re: Topband: 2 wire beverage question

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 2 wire beverage question
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:45:44 -0500

** Ive noticed no difference in any weather using field phone wire which happens to be in wide use by many very competitive contesters and lowband DXers. With 5 2 wire reversibles here and 750' of 1/2" feedline there is no need for a preamp.

I'm talking about:

1.) impedance change

2.) reactance caused by loss

Since the impedance presented at the far end of the antenna (in termination mode) varies with weather and is reactive (with high and variable dielectric losses), termination can be unreliable.

I think you worry too much about minor things, even the much more expensive 450 Ohm window line is affected by rain. Spend more time establishing good ground connections and less worrying about rain.

Maybe that's why you think I have a remote receiver :-) ?

** Ive no idea what that is supposed to mean?

The galvanized thin fence wire you often champion is also lossy.

That's an apples and oranges comparison.

First, I don't "champion" galvanized wire. That aside, there is nothing wrong with using it in normal Beverages of reasonable length.

** You have suggested its use many times.

It is not
terminating the system for F/B, and the termination impedance and loss does not vary with weather.

** So now you have modified your stance by saying not to use it for a 2 wire Beverage?
I wonder what the loss of steel fence wire and WD-10A is per 100' at 160M?.

At $40 for a new 2.5km reel of WD-10A Im not about to let a little rain bother me even if it did upset things a bit which I doubt is enough to be noticable anyway.

Carl
KM1H

Carl
KM1H