Re: Topband: Beverage Antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Antenna
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 14:41:23 -0500 (EST)
Bryan,

Galvanized chicken wire (wire mesh) makes a superb ground for Beverage
terminations especially in your ideal (for Beverage antenna performance) dry
rocky environment.

A 20 or 30 foot length of wire mesh should perform very well on 160 meters.
Run it perpendicular to the end of your Beverage if possible, otherwise run it
in whatever direction you can.  If it lays under the Beverage, the portion of
the Beverage directly above the wire mesh will behave more like a low loss
transmission line than an antenna.

I would encourage you to install the Beverage far from your transmit antenna,
RG-6 is a excellent inexpensive solution.

While a low dipole may get you on the air, an inverted-L vertical with ground
redials will be far superior.  Try to get as much vertical height as possible,
at least 40-50 feet if at all possible.  More is better.

73
Frank
W3LPL