Re: Topband: Beverage Antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Antenna
From: Buck wh7dx <wh7dx@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 11:40:57 -1000
This is my first post so I hope this is correct.  Not sure where it's going..
how it's linked in the thread?

I have a 160M dipole up as high as I can.  About 40 feet at center and 20 feet
at ends in the trees.   On a sloping hill.. 200ft above ocean that is <100
yards away.  South and East are my strong locations (height, no noise, ocean)

I live in Hawaii.

On 160 Dipole I've been able to hear Europe at times and North America.  I
don't know CW yet, but a friend had the first CW contact to the west coast
recently.   No grey band etc.. So I wasn't just radiating straight up?

I almost had contact with either Taiwan or Togo S. Africa (which was grey
line).   I was only getting a garbled message - couldn't make it out.   Pretty
sure I heard WH7 two times.   It was loud in (4-5) in and out but too garbled.
Noticed those two on the cluster at 1.830 shortly after.  Hardly any activity
at the time etc.

Noise is usually about 3-4.   1.808 has a constant noise.   That's not the NJ
problem is it??

I'm going to run a 600ft Beverage and I'm thinking of putting that on my Yaesu
987 with tuner as a receiving antenna.   More fail safe than using Antenna 1 &
2 on my Kenwood 570 and forgetting to switch while broadcasting.

The hill behind my house continues up to about 650ft.   To the right is east
and the same elevation.  My dipole is behind the house running parallel to the
property - East / West.

I guess I'm terminated the end of the beverage and I'm just wondering the best
direction to run it.   It's either up the hill which is more North or to the
East?   I'm thinking more East?

I don't know if running a beverage up a hill is a good idea.   I'd like to
point it S/E but that's not possible with Coax location.   East??

I have a 40 & 80 dipole in the same location and they are able to work NA and
the Pacific.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=5+lumahai+street&ll=21.261021,-157.704674&spn=0.004279,0.0053&client=safari&oe=UTF-8&hnear=5+Lumahai+St,+Honolulu,+Hawaii+96825&gl=us&t=h&z=18

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] Information transmitted by this email is
proprietary to Mr. & Mrs. B and is intended for use only by the individual or
entity to which it is addressed, or where ever the hell it ends up, and will
almost certainly contain information that will offend a large portion of the
population, which isn't our concern. If you are not the intended lucky
recipient, or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without the
proper authority of the Wizard of Email or Al Gore, you are notified that any
thought, use, or consumption of this email is entirely your choice. In such
case, Bon Appetit....    Note:  A $.02 Internet Tax was charged for receiving
this email and all funds were given to some family somewhere in America or the
U.N....  Have a nice day.