Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:18:27 -0400
I A-B or A-B-C tested several antennas, including a low dipole, the high dipole, an element from my four square, a ~318 foot insulated tower vertical, and I think my tall omni vertical was about 190 feet at that time.

The tall vertical tower was definitely worse compared to shorter verticals, and had almost no short skip signal around Georgia. I had isolation chokes for lights and a base insulator, but that 300+ foot tower was so poor I never used it as a vertical.

That may have been confusing. I never got in the habit of calling my 300ft + insulated tower a tall vertical, because I always considered it a support. It did have isolation chokes for cables and lights and a base insulator. It worked its way up in height from doing radial tests until it eventually reached ~318 feet.

The vertical I call a tall vertical has always been a 180-200 ft insulated vertical, so it is not really the tallest vertical. It was just the one that worked best as a tall vertical.

The really tall tower was so poor for overall use I just grounded the base when I rebuilt it with Rohn 65G a few years ago, so now it is no longer available as a series-fed structure. It has a ground system around it that allows other test antennas, and for a while I had two four squares. Since the 300 ft gets hit by lightning at least once in every storm, it is too much trouble to have cables run out to a four square with ground radials. Lightning current melted an LMR400 cable shield every other storm.