Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity
From: "Richard Fry" <rfry@adams.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:21:55 -0500
Dave WX7G wrote:
For DX we are interested in elevation angles from 3-15 degrees. How much error is there in a NEC model of a monopole at these elevations?

The link below shows the NEC4.2 fields for a seawater path on 1850 kHz. The calculated field at 1 km in the horizontal plane for 1 kW of applied power is 309 mV/m.

The theoretical maximum field for that system at 1 km in the horizontal plane, over a perfect ground plane is 313 mV/m.

The fields at low elevation angles above the horizontal plane are nearly the same. As NEC calculates the horizontal plane field accurately, the other fields shown there will be equally accurate.

As shown in my earlier plot for seawater, 5 mS/m and 1 mS/m, the shapes of the elevation patterns close to a monopole are very similar to each other for those different conductivities.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/rfry-100/160m_Qtr_Wave_ElPat_at_1km.jpg

R. Fry