Topband: Best angle of radiation ?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Best angle of radiation ?
From: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:46:36 -0700
Ionosphere reflection layers are a ever changing part of the DX signal. Yes, every antenna has its day, but the what angle is consistently better ?. My experience has been the angle gets higher above ground as the frequency is lowered. Also this angle is not the same between the equator and the poles.

On 80 meters, I found that verticals over half wave, but less than 5/8 wave, resulted in lower signal reports in comparison of other daily long path contacts with VK6LK, and others working him.

AM broadcast band antennas 5/8 & 1/2 wave tall are rarely used any more. I noticed a reduction of the tall AM towers starting about the 1960's.

  73
Bruce-K1FZ