Re: Topband: Best angle of radiation ?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Best angle of radiation ?
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:04:04 -0400
On 10/25/2012 1:46 PM, Bruce wrote:
AM broadcast band antennas 5/8 & 1/2 wave tall are rarely used any more. I noticed a reduction of the tall AM towers starting about the 1960's.

  73
Bruce-K1FZ

Bruce, I would add one exception to that and that would be the use by some broadcasters of Franklin or folded Franklin design antennas which still are in use, especially by stations 50 KW clear channel stations near the high end of the AM band. With the AM band expansion such an antenna, even in its folded configuration theroretically gives you nearly a 3db increase on the ground-wave and without the nasty high angle lobe of a 5/8 wave.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to build a Franklin antenna on TB?

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ