Topband: How to hear through static crashes?

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: How to hear through static crashes?
From: "Brian Mattson" <k8bhz@hughes.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:27:01 -0400
I find that my 1927 Regenerative Receiver does quite well with QRN. No agc,
excessive gain, or ringing filter problems at all & simple audio filtering is
very effective.

It has two different audio filters; one is a simple R/C that eliminates all the
high frequencies. The other is an L/C peaking filter made from a Model T Ford
spark coil secondary and a mica cap. Because of the large number of turns of
fine wire, the series R is quite high, making for a low Q, non-ringing filter.
If the first filter is switched in along with the second, the added C merely
lowers the L/C center frequency, which seems to help with QRN.

The resulting signal in the Baldy headphones is much more pleasant to listen to
than that from my "modern" receiver set-up!

The low (30" high) Beverage is also quieter than my 6 element vertical receive
array when the QRN is high.

Brian  K8BHZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK