Re: Topband: how to hear through static crashes?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: how to hear through static crashes?
From: "D. S. Coleman" <cwforever2@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:30:50 -0400
All:

A comment on active noise cancelling headsets.  The Heil Quiet Phone
Pro is a very different animal than the Bose headsets.  I have a Heil
QPP and on a scale of 5 it gets a zero.  Mine oscillated right out of
the box and was returned to Heil for repair, but then had a high
amplitude noise peak at 1100 Hertz right on the brink of oscillation.
Heil would not replace it, repair it, nor help with technical info so
I could repair it myself.  The Heil QPP was basically useless and
ultimately failed from cracked plastic because of a stress riser
design flaw.  Extremely poor engineering and customer service. I have
used a Bose QC-15 on 160M and agree with WA9YSD's assessment as to the
hearing improvement in ambient noise.  The CW seems to stand out a bit
better with ANR than without.  I do not know the improvement is
ambient room noise suppression or if if the processing helps in other
ways.  In high QRN I run the K3 with minimal RF gain + maximum
attenuation and use 450 Hz DSP BW through a 1-KHz filter and with fast
AGC.  Diversity also helps.

73,
Steve
AB4I

> Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:19:14 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jim WA9YSD <wa9ysd@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Topband: how to hear through static crashes?
>
> 1. Bose QC-2 and QC-15 head phones take away from the constant static
> pounding, much softer sound. They also help with week signals in the noise.
> Also they help reduce the noise with fan and window shaker AC unites because
> they are noise canceling head phones. Keep rechargeable batteries handy. I
> believe ?Heil has noise canceling head phones as well and rumor has it that
> they use the same circuit boards and Bose.

<SNIP!>
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK