Re: Topband: how to hear through static crashes?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: how to hear through static crashes?
From: k6xt <k6xt@k6xt.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:13:59 -0600
This isn't necessarily a plug, and I have no pecuniary interest.
Thankfully the K3 has an adjustable audio limiter, and also a hi/lo gain
setting, for those of us who use these techniques listening thru static
crashes. Previous rigs occasionally pasted my ears good no matter how
adjusted.

An audio gain issue with K3 and probably other newer rigs is they're so
quiet on a quiet band I often am listening to, or even working, DX that
is not moving the "meter". Audio limiting is only partially effective on
the occasional simplex caller (or jammer). Backed off RF gain, advanced
AF gain contributes to this.

73 Art K6XT~~
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm.

On 3/27/2012 1:00 PM, topband-request@contesting.com wrote:
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:14:06 -0700
> From: "Bruce"<k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
> Subject: Topband: how to hear through static crashes?
> To:<topband@contesting.com>
>
> - otherwise the static crashes will
>> >  blow your eardrums out with the high AGC threshold.
> Years ago in the late 1990's,  early 2000's when I was doing serious
> contesting I found a good remedy. An old ARRL handbook had a
> diagram of two diodes (one for positive peaks, the other for negative peaks)
> biased with  batteries, plus variable  pots, to clamp headphone audio for
> maximum confortable level. Built it up and worked well.
> 73
> Bruce-K1FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK