Re: Topband: Electrical height of short shunt fed tower?

To: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Electrical height of short shunt fed tower?
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:19:55 -0500
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>wrote:

All the reading and discussions I have over the preceding 6 years suggest
> that anything above the first capacitance hat/wire provides little or now
> benefit. I think there have been articles through the years in magazines
> like Ham Radio, QST and QEX that have explored this topic.

In going up the tower to various conductors, the current tends to pick the
LONGEST conductor path "near" the top for the greatest current. Particularly
on 160 where a 1/4 wave is 125 feet, the typical longest path from a given
junction has the lowest Z and will therefore accept the majority of the
current out of the junction.

How this plays out with respect to "first" hat/wire is a purely case-by-case
basis.

.5 times longer may be as good a "swag" rule as any.

73, Guy.