Re: Topband: Electrical height of short shunt fed tower?

To: "'Topband'" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Electrical height of short shunt fed tower?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:12:12 -0500
> This year I got up at the 87 foot level a 4 element modified
> A-4 on a longer boom of 35 feet.  From what I have able to
> determine with the new retuning of the cage feed is that the
> stinger is no longer visible at RF. I determined, correct me
> if I am wrong, that since the resonant frequency decreased
> and the base impedance impedance increased on my MFJ-259B
> that the stinger had vanished because of the large yagi
> below it....

Somewhere in the distant past I heard or read a rule of thumb
that said the top loading contribution of a yagi was about 1.8
times the turning radius it the antenna was relatively "square."
That is the element length was about the same as the boom
length.  The 35 foot boom modified A4 fits that criteria with
a 35' boom and elements (trapped) about 30' long.  That makes
the turning radius of the antenna about 23'

A quick check with simplified models in EZNEC shows:

  85' tower                      2.75 MHz   (85')
  85' tower with 35' mast        2.06 MHz   (113')
  85' tower with modified A4     1.69 MHz   (138')
  85' tower with A4 and mast     1.54 MHz   (152')

The "loading contribution" of the yagi is around 48' ...
more than the "stinger's" 28' (shorter than its physical length
due to the significantly reduced diameter).   However, the
stinger still provides some additional loading.  It is
interesting that the yagi provides top loading equivalent
to about two times its assumed turning radius ...
relatively close to the old 1.8 x turning radius rule of
thumb.

The simplified models assume uniform cross section tower (6"
diameter) a 2" diameter mast, and only the first/last elements
of the yagi (with no traps).  They are instructive for trends
... resonant frequencies are probably not good within +/- 200KHz.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV