Re: Topband: The East Coast Advantage

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The East Coast Advantage
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:39:21 -0700 (PDT)
I would respectfully say such a broad characterization of East Coast stations
is downright wrong.

I personally have called you and other West Coast stations mentioned repeatedly
without so much as a dittydahdahditty in various contests. Does this mean you
just didn't want to work me?? I think not, but have been wrong before.

As to Stew Perry being more fair and balanced, I'd be willing to debate that
the West Coast has many more "DX" stations to work in the Eastern direction
than we in the East have headed your way.

One could also argue that the CQ160 contests favor Europe more than any place
else...

Too, with the many highly directional receiving antennas in use, one would
expect signals off the back or side to be almost non-existent. I've called
Jeff, VY2ZM, when he was 20 over here without a response either and I'm more
than sure he would prefer logging someone than calling CQ over and over. Of
course, folks do rotate antennas from time to time, even when the prevailing
rate is in one expected direction.

I understand Herb's and even your comments on the issues with Top Band
contests, but I don't see a simple answer to them. You have several things that
are completely out of the control of the contest organizers: ham population in
a given multiplier being a major one. Won't even get into propagation...

Of course, this is just one little pistol's perspective...

73,
Julius Fazekas
N2WN

Tennessee Contest Group